Re: [docbook-apps] embeding text fragments

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 12:55:14PM +0100, Georges Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we all still remember the workaround with the imagedata element, fileref
> and format="linespecific" to include text into the document. This still
> works with saxon, but never did with xsltproc.
>
> Now we have textdata, but this doesn't work either with xsltproc. I'm
> just wondering; xsltproc is full of extensions, but this construct is
> not working. Have I to switch to XInclude? What about saxon and XInclude
> (I need saxon too, because of column adjustments and callouts)? And
> than, DSSSL will not work anymore...
>
> To formulate it in one sentence: is there a way to include external
> text, that is working with saxon, xsltproc and DSSSL at the same time?
> What is the right way to go in future?

How about two out of three?
You can use XIncludes in xsltproc and Saxon, but not
DSSSL.  For Saxon, you need to use Xerces 2.5.0
or later, which can resolve whole-file XIncludes.
See:

  http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Xinclude.html

If you need to process with DSSSL, you could use
xmllint to preprocess the XIncludes, and process
the result with DSSSL tools.  It adds an extra
step, but that's what Makefiles are for.  8^)

                                            email: bobs@sco.com