Re: [docbook-apps] Controlling the font size of bibliography/title ?

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 01:57:10AM +0200, Oliver Fischer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I produce PDF documents with help of XEP and DocBook XSL/FO. One of my
> documents contains the element hierarchy sect1/bibliography/title. The
> resulting document contains always a huge headline for the title of the
> bibliography. In fo/bibliography I found an empty template
> bibliography/title which doesn't match the hierarchy above. How can I
> control the font properties for this title element?

The stylesheets assume a bibliography is at the
same level as chapter.  As with most elements, the
title is handled by the stylesheet titlepage mechanism.
The specs for bibliography titles are in fo/titlepage.templates.xml.
It shows that the <title> element of bibliography is handled
by the 'component.title' template, which is used for chapters
and such.

To change it, you should edit a copy of
titlepage.templates.xml, generate your own
titlepage.templates.xsl, and include that in your
stylesheet customization.  You could have the specs call
a new template such as "bibliography.title" instead of
component.title.  That template could check to see if the
parent element is something other than book, and if so
apply smaller formatting properties.  If the parent is
book, then call component.title.

Don't try to just put something in the empty template
with match="bibliography/title".  That is empty because
the title element is handled by the template for
the bibliography element. That empty template prevents
the title from being processed (and output) twice.
This is a method commonly used in the stylesheets.

BTW, there is talk in the DocBook Technical Committee
about adding a more lightweight bibliolist element
for minor bibliographies within other elements.
This is analogous to glosslist and glossary.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com