RE: [docbook-apps] How to change the font size of a single charac ter?

I can't help you with the DSSSL, but I might be able to help with the
tagging.  What is the significance of the word test, and the letter within
test that you want to enlarge?  For example, in the sentence, "Open the File
menu and click Send to send your message", the words "File" and "Send" are a
menu and a menuitem in a GUI application.  The letters "F" and "e" are the
accelerator keys in the respective labels.  So, I would tag that sentence
as:

<guimenuitem>S<accel>e</accel>nd</guimenuitem> to send your message

(Or I would further abbreviate it as "Click
<guimenuitem>S<accel>e</accel>nd</guimenuitem></menuchoice> to send your
message")

Anyway, in this case, the <accel/> element is a perfect fit for the specific
letters.  There are very few tags, though, that are a good fit for letters
within words, and <accel/> is only valid in the gui* elements.

So, what exactly is the significance of the letters which you want to
enlarge?

Jeff