Re: [docbook-apps] Some problems with rendering db -> PDF

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:06:25AM +0200, Marc Baaden wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> I did try the very latest stylesheets.
> I see no difference. :((

>> after playing with other fonts, I found out the following about
>> hyphenation: a boxed character is displayed, with some fonts.

>> Font       Hyphen?    Greek char?
>> Palatino   ok         ok
>> Tahoma     box        ok
>> Verdana    box        ok
>> Helvetica  none       none
>>
>> . if I could get that box into a hyphen, it would be fine for me ..
>
> >> Start by updating your stylesheets to the latest
> >> version 1.62.0, then we will go from there.
> >> Some of these issues have been resolved in that version.

I didn't mean to imply that using the latest would
solve all your problems, just that it would eliminate
a few possible causes.

We need to sort out if this is an issue with the
DocBook stylesheets, XEP's rendering engine,
or something to do with the language being French.

Can you peak inside your FO output and see if
each <fo:page sequence> includes these attributes:

  hyphenation-character="-"
  hyphenation-push-character-count="2"
  hyphenation-remain-character-count="2"

Do you see any difference when you set your document
lang="en" instead of "fr"?

>From where did you get your font files that you are
using in XEP?  The fact that some work and others
don't seems a bit strange.  This may need to go
to the XEP mailing list.

Can you attach an FO file that illustrates the problem in
a mail to me (not the whole list)?

                                            email: bobs@sco.com