Re: [docbook-apps] db for math/chem dissertation/thesis

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 01:28:39PM -0400, Mike Mueller wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 August 2003 14:51, Mike Mueller wrote:
> > Is db used often or easily for technical dissertations and thesis, in
> > particular those in math and chemistry?  Can anyone post a link to an
> > example?  How does db stand up against LaTeX?
> >
> > TIA,
>
> Several folks in acedemia suggested to me that db is not being widely used
> for math or chem dissertations yet, and that WYSIWYGs and LaTeX were still
> tools of choice for those apps.  I found that hard to believe at first.  A
> little research showed why db may not be a preferred tool in math.  Then I
> found the MathML resources on the web.  W3C had a math conformance test for
> your browser.  I use Firebird and the tester reported that I needed some
> extras to make things look better.  I did OK in the default mode, but I can
> imagine that OK is not good enough for acedemia.  I can't imagine some
> grad/post grad sweating the details of getting all the different browsers out
> there to display her/his dissertation properly.  Then there's the additional
> problem of getting her/his advisors to fix up all the browers they may use to
> be MathML friendly.  I can imagine that chem applications would have similar
> difficulties but I admit I did not specifically research chem MLs.
>
> Comments?

I agree that math presentation in browsers still has a
ways to go.  But aren't most dissertations primarily
delivered in print form?  Or am I hopelessly out of
date?  Not that I'm claiming that DocBook has a complete
solution for math in print, mind you.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com