[docbook-apps] Catalog lookups with openjade on redhat 9.0 without network connection fail

Hello,

Today I - an 'out of the box' docbook user - ran into an intriguing
problem:

I have been using docbook succesfully for the lat 3 weeks on my redhat
9.0 system. Not being a guru I opted to install everything (so every
single package on the 3 cd's is installed). I create both html and pdf
with:

openjade -t xml -d
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/docbook.dsl
/usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl mydoc.xml
openjade -t xml -d
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/print/docbook.dsl
/usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl mydoc.xml
jadetex mydoc.tex
pdfjadetex mydoc.tex

This works fine. However, today I noticed when there were network was
down the commands above did not give any  output. I did get a message
containing:

could not resolve host "www.oasis-open.org"
and then it starts complaining about missing element declarations in the
DTD, undefined elements etc..

The header of mydoc.xml looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd";>

Since I have everything installed on my system I would expect being not
on a network would still allow me to parse xml files but apparently
there is something 'wrong' on the out of the box redhat install. Anyone
got a clue where to start looking to solve this issue? In fact, I want
to be able to process xml files also when I am on the road.

Kind regards,

Maarten Sanders