Re: [docbook-apps] admon graphics: GIF vs PNG

On Thursday 21 August 2003 04:32, Juan R. Migoya wrote:
> Mike Mueller wrote:

> >2. If I should use the .pngs, then is there a recipe for modifying the
> > DSSSL?
>
> In dbparam.dsl:
>
> (define admon-graphic-default-extension
> ".png")

I tried this and it did not work.

With your help I was able see that dbparam.dsl and the DSSSL in the Cogent
reference both contain admon graphics path controls.  Closer inspection of
the Cogent file has a comment stating results similar to mine regarding the
admon-graphic-default-extension control.

When I changed "warning.gif" to "warning.png" in dbparam.dsl, the warning.png
icon was used.

I guess I'll substitute "png" for "gif" in dbparam.dsl unless I'm this is
wrong. (I'm doing this in the html version.)

Here is the relevent section from the Cogent reference at
http://developers.cogentrts.com/cogent/prepdoc/pd-customizingthedssslstylesheets.html:

;; This overrides the default .gif extension for print admontions.
(define ($admon-graphic$ #!optional (nd (current-node)))
  (cond ((equal? (gi nd) (normalize "tip"))
 (string-append %admon-graphics-path% "tip.png"))
((equal? (gi nd) (normalize "note"))
 (string-append %admon-graphics-path% "note.png"))
((equal? (gi nd) (normalize "important"))
 (string-append %admon-graphics-path% "important.png"))
((equal? (gi nd) (normalize "caution"))
 (string-append %admon-graphics-path% "caution.png"))
((equal? (gi nd) (normalize "warning"))
 (string-append %admon-graphics-path% "warning.png"))
(else (error (string-append (gi nd) " is not an admonition.")))))

;; Identify the default extension for admonition graphics. This allows
;; backends to select different images (e.g., EPS for print, PNG for
;; PDF, etc.)  It doesn' seem to be working, so we used the override above.
(define admon-graphic-default-extension ".png")

<snip>

> >6. OT: Is it socially acceptable to be using openjade and sgml these days?
>
> I dont know what "socially acceptable" means in this context. I have
> been usin those tools to make
> large manuals (both in pdf and in html) and they look good. But yes,
> perhaps you have to work
> to get a stylesheet that fit your needs. And you can use XML with
> Openjade. I do it!

Since I am coming to this list for free help then I want to make sure I am
using tools that are current.  I don't work with DocBook much so I'm still
trying to choose which processing technology to spend time learning.
Openjade seems to work fine so I'll stick with it until I find a good reason
to change.  Output styling is not a top priority for me now.

Thanks for your help.
--
Mike Mueller
Registration No. 324881 (08/20/2003)