Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Support for callout extensions in xsltproc

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 08:59:44AM -0400, Jeff Beal wrote:
> I don't understand it myself.  But, I've run the two processors on identical
> transforms, and had the time be almost the same.  Saxon has even been a
> little faster.  This is for chunked HTML transforms only, though.  It seems
> that Saxon is able to write files faster on Windows then XSLTProc, so even
> though xsltproc is "transforming" faster, Saxon is able to get the file onto
> the hard drive faster.  When I'm going to FO (where there's only one file
> write operation), xsltproc is considerably faster.

  Okay, do a Request For Enhancement on libxslt bugzilla about this.
Maybe I can find why writing is slower than expected, I don't remember
doing any performance analysis for chunking i.e. exslt:document extension
maybe there is something wrong.

> I should also point out that my doc set is abnormally huge.  On my dual PIII
> 1.4 GHz machine, either processor takes almost five hours to do a complete
> build.  We build 26 manuals simultaneously, which are about 10,000 printed
> pages and about 6,000 HTML files.  There may just be something about
> scalability where Saxon wins out.

  Yes in that case the Java load + warmup of the JIT is lost in the
time spent on processing. But for a 5hours processing my take is that
you're likely to swap like hell on the box, measuring purely the speed
of your I/O subsystem. I doubt the CPU load it 100% of the CPU (or
2x50% depending on the scheduling and affinity processing of your OS
since you're wunning an SMP). 5 hours of a 1.4 GHZ CPU is way too much
IMHO even for 6000 resulting files. I bet it's totally I/O bound, the
swap processing competing with the write I/O of the chunking code.
  Definitely not "common usage" ... :-)

Daniel