Re: [docbook-apps] Mathematics and DocBook

There is a fifth way if you use the openjade, jadetex toolchain. ".tex" is a valid graphics extension which will be rendered correctly into ps or pdf output. Simply write your equation in a file, say texmath1.tex. Then you can include it like this:

<inlineequation>
    <inlinemediaobject>
      <imageobject>
        <imagedata fileref="texmath1.tex" format="TEX"/>
        <imagedata fileref="texmath1.png" format="PNG"/>
      </imageobject>
    </inlinemediaobject>
</inlineequation>

The toolchain will select the first imagedata allowed for the target medium (as defined in your stylesheet). texmath1.tex may contain any tex formatting, not just equations. If you are interested in this, I can provide more details privately.

This might work with fo and passivetex, but I haven't tried it.

--
Kevin M. Dunn
Professor of Chemistry