[docbook-apps] Mathematics and DocBook

I'm getting ready to write documentation for some mathematical software, and so I've been looking into how to put mathematics into DocBook documents. (I'm new to DocBook.) What I've found so far has been very disheartening, as the options are either inadequate to produce nicely typeset mathematics, or are excruciatingly painful to use. These options are given in Bob Stayton's book, _DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide_:

1. Plain text math. You can't get nicely typeset mathematics this way, and there are some things you can't express at all (at least not with xmlto), due to character entities that don't display correctly. It's also very painful to use: Stayton's book gives the following VERY verbose example for a six-character expression:

 <inlineequation>
   <inlinemediaobject>
     <textobject>
       <phrase>&Psi;(n,k)</phrase>
     </textobject>
   </inlinemediaobject>
 </inlineequation>

Not only is this a lot of effort to type, it's also unreadable when you are editing the source XML file. It gets really bad if you have a lot of small snippets of inline math within one's texts, such as references to mathematical variables -- the scaffolding outweighs the content by TWO orders of magnitude! This wouldn't be so bad if there were some way of defining a macro for all of the wrapping tags -- either a single macro taking a parameter which is the math content, or two macros for the prelude and postlude -- but there doesn't seem to be any way of doing this in DocBook.

2. Graphic math. This has all the disadvantages of (1) except for lack of nice typesetting, with the added disadvantages that one needs to write an additional, separate file for every tiny bit of math, and the math is completely unreadable (not even in the same file) when editing the source XML file.

3. DBTeXMath. You can produce nicely typeset math this way, but you still have the problem of excruciatingly verbose input for the simplest thing. For example, just to reference a mathematical variable N I have to write
<inlineequation>
<inlinemediaobject>
<imageobject role="html">
<imagedata fileref="texmath1.png" format="PNG"/>
</imageobject>
</inlinemediaobject>
</inlineequation>

4. MathML. This is just hopelessly verbose, and the source for your math is not easily readable.

Are there any better solutions? Am I going to have to learn how to extend the DocBook DTD and modify the stylesheets to get a reasonable solution? Surely I'm not the first person to run into this problem...