RE: [docbook-apps] Using a CSS

If you want to use CSS to render your DocBook document, you just need to
open your XML file in your web browser.  IE, Mozilla (and derivatives), and
Opera all support associating CSS directly with XML files.

When you run the file through Xalan, you are using XSLT to create HTML files
from the XML.  You use the html.stylesheet parameter to associate CSS with
these HTML files.  Your command should create a file named article.html,
that will load in the cascading stylesheet.  However, since this is HTML,
not XML, your style rule on 'para' won't work.  You'll need to change the
'para' to 'p' in your cascading style sheet to see the new style in the
HTML.