Re: [docbook-apps] trim space off tag contents

You guess right. But so far, I had to start programlisting contents and the like at the very first column of my XML source, which indeed spoiled readability tremendously. If there is a solution to keep XML source indentation and yet have indentation in the transformed result relative to the first source line, I would greatly appreciate to hear about it, too.

Patrick

Gabor Hojtsy schrieb:
The normalize-space() function in XSL removes leading
and trailing spaces, and replaces internal sequences
of whitespace with a single space character.

If its many elements, then an identity transform with <xsl:strip-space elements="*"/> does the same job. Replace * with as many elements as needed or use... <xsl:preserve-space elements="pre"/> or whatever. Can be used in combination.

This does not solve our problems. Here is a fragment:

<programlisting role="php">
<![CDATA[
 <head>
  <title>PHP Test</title>
 </head>
 <?php echo "<p>Hello World</p>"; ?>
]]>
</programlisting>

This will effectively output a code with the leading spaces (the newlines after the programlisting tag and after the <![CDATA[ tag) present, and with the trailing newlines also present. We would not like to put the <![CDATA[ and the programlisting and the first line of the example on the same line to avoid this, for readability reasons. But we would not like to get those newlines on the output.

<xsl:strip-space> is to strip whitespace-only text nodes, AFAIK, which is not the case here. normalize-space() will remove any multiple spaces, which will highly distract the formatting of the example above. So none of these are solutions. As I said, we would like to strip of the leading and trailing spaces, and nothing else. Others, using <programlisting> must have been faced the same problem, I guess...