Re: two issues with XSLT processors -- xsltproc and xalan

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 11:06:48AM -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 09:50:57AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   to follow up bob stayton's recent posting on adding
> > <xsl:output indent="yes"> to get indented, hierarchical output:
> >
> > 1) works great with xalan.  xsltproc, on the other hand, doesn't
> >    seem to recognize this attribute although, in all fairness,
> >    no XSLT processor is *required* to do so
>
>   It does for me, I use it all the time :-)
> I'm surprized. However libxml2 serialization layer is very cautious
> about indentation, if there is a text node found in the set of siblings
> it will cowardly but safely refuse to add extra indentation.
> The other problem possible might be related to indent inherited value when
> there is a hierarchy of stylesheets but I never got a clear bug report
> about this.

It works for me with xsltproc as well (libxml 20504,
libxslt 10027).  In the case of fo output, there are many
nested elements and relatively few text nodes, so there are
plenty of opportunities for indenting.  In one test file,
the number of lines in the FO output went from 300 with
the standard stylesheet to 2606 with indent=yes.

                                            email: bobs at sco dot com