Re: 'pgwide' attribute in 'figure' element as a child of'glossdef'

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:23:35AM +1030, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using XSL-FO stylesheets 1.60.0 and XEP to render PS and PDF.
>
> I have some glossary entries where I want to include figures as part
> of the 'glossdef'.  Some of the images are a little wide, so I have
> used 'pgwide="1"' as an attribute of the 'figure' element.  The
> figures are not, however, being centred within the page, but remain
> centred within the blocks that compose the text of the 'glossdef'.
> I've glanced over formal.xsl, and 'pgwide="1"' should induce a
> 'span="all"' attribute on the fo:block in question.  This isn't
> happening when the 'figure' is a child of 'glossdef' -- in fact, I
> can't find a single 'span' attribute anywhere in the resulting FO
> file.
>
> Am I missing something here, or is this a bug?

Well, looking at the templates, the pgwide attribute is
currently supported only for tables in the fo stylesheets.
That is a bug, so you could file a bug report on that.

But even if it is supported, I don't think it would do
what you want.  The fo:span="all" property refers to
spanning page columns.  But glossentries are formatted
with either fo:block or fo:list-item in a single page column.
Since the figure is part of the glossdef block, I don't
think you can get it to center on the page without
further intervention.

                                            email: bobs at sco dot com