Re: language specific character in PDF output

* David Tolpin; <dvd@renderx.com> on 20 Dec, 2002 wrote:
Turkish language specific characters as long as a font file is used that
is covering the glyphs. Fonst coming with XEP do not include these
glyphs. The bookmarks are not displaying the Turkish characters and
actually they change the text ( this could be the feature of Docbook
StyleSheets ) and the ending result is they are displayed properly
Togan,

I've decided to continue discuss it publicly since it is a common problem
and confusion. Opposite to a document's contents, bookmarks are not _rendered_
by a PDF producer. They are supplied as data to Acrobat Reader; there is no
place to set a font for bookmarks inside the PDF file.

Acrobat Reader (starting with 5.0 IIRC) accepts bookmarks in Unicode and displays
them using a font it is configured to use too. To say the truth I cannot recall
what exactly I had done to force AR to use a Unicode font  with AR for Linux,
but I'll try to reconstruct it.
The Acrobat Reader Help mentiones it yet I have not understood the exact
format as the prefs are different then shown in the help (
$HOME/.acrobat/prefs).

I have tried using thd db2xpdf.xsl that comes with XEP and the bookmarks
as seen below do have the correct characters. yet the code in fop.xsl is
also used by xep.xsl and a character conversion is done. So since there
is a translation done Even if there is correct fonts for the bookmarks.
It is not possible to see them as they do not exsit anymore. Maybe this
feature should be removed or added as a parameter to the stylesheets Acrobat_compatibiliy_ mode

The db2xpdf.xsl generates this

<rx:bookmark-label>1.2.2. SpamAssassin ayar dosyas&#305;n&#305;n
d&#252;zenlenmesi</r x:bookmark-label>

Docbook generates this

<rx:bookmark-label>1.2.2. SpamAssassin ayar dosyasinin
düzenlenmesi</rx:bookmark-label>

xep.xsl has the a-dia, a-asc translation coming from fop.xsl
<xsl:if test="$bookmark-label != ''">
<rx:bookmark internal-destination="{$id}">
<rx:bookmark-label>
<xsl:value-of select="translate($bookmark-label, $a-dia, $a-asc)"/>
</rx:bookmark-label>
</rx:bookmark>
</xsl:if>

--