From: Stefan Bylund [mailto:steby@enea.se]
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 12:33 PM
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: steby@enea.se
Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: FOP and SVG?

Hi,

I'm a new DocBook user. I'm in the process of evaluating DocBook XML and
Saxon/FOP for possible use at my company. So far I'm very happy with both
DocBook and Saxon/FOP. However, I can't get FOP to handle SVG images however
hard I try. This really bothers me since I really want us to be able to use
SVG
for PDF output. I'm using the following versions of software on a Solaris 8
machine with JDK 1.3.1:

* DocBook XML 4.2
* DocBook XSL Stylesheets 1.57.0
* Saxon 6.5.2
* FOP 0.20.4

I have attached a simple DocBook document (book.xml) who references a simple
SVG
image (image.svg). Saxon successfully creates a .fo file, whose SVG image
reference looks ok in my eyes (see code snippet below). FOP then creates a
.pdf
file from this .fo file but the SVG image doesn't show up.

I used the following command lines:

> java com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet -x
  org.apache.xml.resolver.tools.ResolvingXMLReader -y
  org.apache.xml.resolver.tools.ResolvingXMLReader -r
  org.apache.xml.resolver.tools.CatalogResolver -u -o book.fo book.xml
  ~steby/xml/docbook-xsl/fo/docbook.xsl

> java org.apache.fop.apps.Fop -fo book.fo -pdf book.pdf

SVG image reference in generated .fo file:
<fo:external-graphic src="url(image.svg)" width="auto" height="auto"
 content-width="auto" content-height="auto"/>

I would be extremely grateful if anybody could shed some light on this
matter.
As it is now, I can't get any further with the evaluation; SVG support is a
show
stopper.

Regards,
Stefan Bylund