passivetext pdfxmltex and pdf imagedata

Since PassiveTeX's pdfxmltex seems to only like PDF or JPG imagedata
as mediaobjects, and since the rendering of JPG bitmaps from
postscript is pretty fuzzy, I am hoping this is a common problem with
a ready answer:

  How do I crop PDF files generated from encapsulated postscript?

I am using Ghostscript to generate PDF from my postscript
illustrations, but the inserted images are taking a full page of paper
space, which means the figures are all placed on a page by themselves
with the bottom few and side inches cropped off the image; a simple
diagram will be rendered at the bottom of the image PDF page by this
process, so including that image into a document means the small
diagram is pushed to the bottom of the page and chopped off at the
bottom.  I figure I must be doing something wrong ;)

I'm using Docbook 4.1.2 with the 1.50 XSLT stylesheets.