controlling document appearance

Hi folks,

My company is thinking of using DocBook (XML version) for documenting its
APIs and various other docs. There are various requirements that DocBook
seems to fill well, such as providing a clear standard, compiling to various
formats including HTML, and allowing outside scripts to modify or add to the
docs before processing. But one thing we need to do is "brand" the PDF file
for printed output.

The systems we're using are Red Hat and Debian. Is there any documentation
on how to handle fine-grained visual control over DocBook on those
systems? "DocBook: The Definitive Guide" only seems to cover customization
of tags and attributes, not visual appearance.

Thanks,
Zack

--
Zack Brown