Re: Overview of available editors

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Erik Leunissen <e.leunissen@hccnet.nl> wrote:

> ... interactive tools (GUI-based editors) that aim to help giving
> structure to docbook documents.
>
> My primary interest concerns utilities runnning under Linux, but I'm
> willing to switch to a windows tool if necessary.

I just completed yesterday a 450 page manual using DocBook with emacs and
the psgml package. I made extensive use of the fold element/unfold element
features. This is with the latest emacs/psgml combination either. As I
started with an older one I didn't want to disturb things during the
project. Syntax colouring might have been useful but I didn't have time to
experiment with sensible combinations; could only bill for the editing
work.

I have to say that I would rather use ed for editing DocBook files than
switch to Windows. But then what do I know; I only contributed to an ISO
Technical Report on "Text Entry Systems for SGML".

As for pointers to emacs---that'll be readily avaiable for your Linux
distribution. I found (the ancient) psgml on my RedHat 6.2 install CD. If
you're not too far down the road then a visit to the psgml pages at
sourceforge shoud help you out (http://psgml.sourceforge.net/).

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/ or http://www.bsl-march.co.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!