Re: adding pdf files to the document

On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 13:26, Tim Terlegård wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> I have my main document written in DocBook. I want to add a copyright notice
> to the end of the document and the notice exists as a PDF file. Is there a
> tag in DocBook for including PDF files into the document?
>
> If there is no tag I guess it's possible to produce a PDF of my main document
> and merge the document with the copyright PDF. I haven't found such a tool,
> but there must be such somewhere, I can feel it in my toes. Anyone have a
> clue?
>
> Cheers,
> Tim

Well, I'm not sure what you are doing - your output format, toolchain
whatever...

But, you want to turn your PDF copyright notice into some form of
Enscapsulated postscript/PDF document - i.e. PDF/PostScript with a
bounding box round it.

For all intents and purposes this would then simply be an external
graphic file - so just include it with <GRAPHIC> or <MEDIAOBJECT> or
whatever. You probably can't stick a GRAPHIC in a COPYRIGHT tag
though...

You will need to convert your EPDF or EPS file into something suitable
for web output if you are generating HTML - if you are using linux (your
email suggests that you are) then ImageMagick is the tool that I would
use.

Assuming that your copyright file is called "copyright.pdf" and doesn't
have a bounding box:

Do

display copyright.pdf

Click on the image to bring up the menu.
Select "transform->crop" and crop it.

Save it with ".eps" extension and select the suggested area.
Finally, convert it to a suitable format for your toolchain.

If using DSSSL + pdfjadetex then convert it to epdf

convert copyright.eps copyright.epdf

Then rename it so that pdfjadetex picks it up correctly...

mv copyright.epdf copyright.pdf.

This should be your data as a scalable image....