Re: Re: XMLSpy and entities

"Norman Walsh" <ndw@nwalsh.com>  wrote 11/01/02 15:51:

> [Follow-ups to docbook-apps, please]
>
> / "Joe D. Williams" <joe_d_williams@mindspring.com> was heard to say:
> | Forgive this newbie if this has been answered elsewhere (or if this
> | question should go to docbook-apps), but how do you get XML Spy to
> | validate/accept external entities?
>
> It should "just work".
>
> | My markup looks almost exactly like the example in the online
> | Definitive Guide and validates fine in XMetaL.
>
> If it validates fine in XMetaL, it sounds like an XMLSpy bug.
> Can you post a short example that fails in spy?
>
>                                       Be seeing you,
>                                         norm

I had the same problem originally until I switched to Text-mode instead of
all those nested boxes. Then I realized that Spy auto-inserted either
attributes or elements - I don't remember exactly which - if there was a
formal requirement of at least one element/attribute from a list.

So I suggest that you check your document for those types of overly helpful
"editing capabilities".

Anyway, below is a driver that I use to collect chapters in a book and it
validates with XML-Spy 4.2.

Piet.

--------

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML 4.1.2//EN"
        "docbookx.dtd" [
    <!--<!ENTITY boginfo SYSTEM "bookinfo.xml">-->
    <!--<!ENTITY indhold SYSTEM "indhold.xml">-->
    <!ENTITY chapter1 SYSTEM "chapter1.xml">
    <!ENTITY chapter2 SYSTEM "chapter2.xml">
    <!ENTITY chapter3 SYSTEM "chapter3.xml">
    <!ENTITY chapter4 SYSTEM "chapter4.xml">
    <!ENTITY chapter5 SYSTEM "chapter5.xml">
]>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="klask.xsl"?>
<book>
    <title>Klassifikationsteori</title>
    <bookinfo>
        <authorgroup>
            <author>
                <firstname>Henning </firstname>
                <surname>Grauballe</surname>
            </author>
            <author>
                <firstname>Sˆ½ren </firstname>
                <surname>Kaae</surname>
            </author>
            <author>
                <firstname>Marianne </firstname>
                <surname>Lykke</surname>
            </author>
            <author>
                <firstname>Jens-Erik</firstname>
                <surname>Mai</surname>
            </author>
        </authorgroup>
        <edition>2. udgave</edition>
        <publisher>
            <publishername>Danmarks Biblioteksskole</publishername>
            <address>Birketinget 6, 2300S, Kˆ½benhavn</address>
        </publisher>
        <pubdate>1998</pubdate>
        <pagenums>63</pagenums>
        <releaseinfo>1. XML-DocBook udgave</releaseinfo>
    </bookinfo>
    <!--&boginfo;-->
    <!--&indhold;-->
    &chapter1;