Re: Generating Indexes

> btw. the next problems are already arising, as I also need to figure out
> references to tables, to images, glossary, ...

You do this with <xref>s. An example is easiest;

Name the element you want to reference first, i.e.

<figure id="my_figure">
</figure>

then anywhere you want to refer to it, use <xref linkend="my_figure" />,
which gets converted to "Figure x", where x is the figure number. With
other elements, the appropriate noun is inserted in place of "Figure".

(this is correct, isn't it guys?)

At least, this is how I do it with XML. For all I know it differs when
using SGML.

Incidentally, you probably want to use element id's that describe what they
label, i.e. <figure id="fig-image_description">,
<section id="section-section_about_topic_x">. It's not compulsory in the
slightest, but I'd argue that it makes the xref's more legible when you're
writing the document.

--
roryh