Re: missing id ?!?

Stayton-san wrote:

> I usually get that error reported when the processor cannot
> find the DTD.  Without the DTD, it doesn't know which
> attributes are of type ID and IDREF, so the XSLT id()
> lookup function doesn't work.

Thank you!  I'd been pondering why it worked on some documents and not
others.  The ones it didn't work on were the ones that I had automatically
generated from other XML sources.

For any one else doing the same thing, here's what I did:

  <xsl:output method="xml"
            encoding="EUC-JP"
              indent="no"
      doctype-system="./docbook/xml/docbookx.dtd"
      doctype-public="-//Norman Walsh//DTD DocBk XML V3.1.4//EN"
  />

Adding the doctype-system and doctype-public to xsl:output got it to work.
Your doctype-system values may vary.  (I'm using xalan-2.0.0/xerces-1.2.3 by
the way.)

Camille-san.  Thank you for asking the question.  I also hesitated, sure that
my transforms to DocBook were incorrect, despite looking at the xref outputs
and correct id's.

> Normally the processor should also report that it can't
> find the DTD entity as well.

Xalan didn't.  It also just complained that it couldn't find the ID.

Thank you both.

--
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/