Re-post: typographical characters & encoding

>My PDF output contains incorrect characters for typographical symbols like
>the bullet, em-dash, and double quotes.

Version: docbook-xsl-1.41

I haven't made any progress with this problem on my own since yesterday and
I haven't seen any response from the list. Is there no one who can take a
minute to give me some direction?

The XML file is encoded in UTF-8 and today in iso-8859-1. The FO file has
been encoded alternatively in UTF-8 and UTF-16.

Looking at the FO source file, the bullet actually displays. However...

After generating the PDF from IBM PDFComposer, the bullet is replaced with
the number 42; out of PassiveTeX, vertical double quotes appear instead of
bullets.

PassiveTeX is polite enough to also alert me to the fact that it doesn't
understand my apostrophes; there are no to screen diagnostics from the IBM
processor.

One thing that is confusing to me is the fact that some of the problem
characters are generated by the stylesheets, i.e., the bullets. I can see
that corrupt characters might end up in my source file given the Win2K
environment and XMetaL but I don't see how the stylesheet generated
characters could be problematical. And I have to confess, I don't
understand why the encoding parameter isn't enough to sort everything out
like magic.

I'm happy to do the legwork if someone could simply point me to some
appropriate information.