Re: Errors during (XML ->) FO -> PDF transformation

At 9:18 PM -0700 8/19/01, Vladimir G Ivanovic wrote:
>When I execute
>
>   pdflatex --interaction nonstopmode -fmt /usr/local/texmf/tex/xmltex/base/pdfxmltex progguide.fo

How refreshing! Finally we get to answer some questions based on bugs in PassiveTeX rather than questions based on the same old bugs in FOP! :-)

>I get a number of the following kinds of errors:
>
>   1.  ! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .gif.

I don't use gifs, but if this is happening it's almost certainly a PassiveTeX problem, not a Docbook problem.

>   2. ! Illegal unit of measure (pt inserted).
>      <to be read again>
>                   0
>      l.6114 ...    <fo:table-column column-number="1"/>

PassiveTeX's table handling is a little flaky. You're probably using a relative unit of measure such as a percentage that it can't handle. Again, this is not Docbook's fault or responsibility to fix.

>   3. ! Undefined control sequence.
>      \NoTableCell ...1}\CurrentCellWidth =\wd 0 \DEBUg
>                                                  {report \the \CurrentCellW...
>      l.7555                      </fo:table-row>
>
>I'm also getting a huge number of "Overfull \hbox" messages, some of
>over 100pts.

This is a normal TeX message. It basically means that TeX was trying to fit too much text onto one line. It's no big deal, really and you can safely ignore this.

The bottom line on these sorts of questions is that it's almost always the fault of the formatter, not Docbook or the Docbook stylesheets. XSL-FO is much further out on the bleeding edge than Docbook. I wouldn't even bother posting these sorts of questions here unless you can conclusively demonstrate that the Docbook style sheets are generating incorrect XSL-FO markup.