Re: DocBook XML/XSL - shaded?

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 11:04:54AM -0400, Dan York wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 01:20:38PM -0400, Jon Willeke wrote:
> > If you're only concerned about HTML, use a CSS stylesheet.  My preference
> > is to shade screens, but not programlistings, so I use the following:
>
> The issue for the LDP is that people very often download an HTML page
> (typically a version of a HOWTO document) and save it for later viewing.
> We know that from user comments.  While I, too, would prefer a CSS
> solution, it would then require the user to download *both* the HTML
> file and the CSS file.... which some more novice users may not figure out.
> So the HTML file needs to be as self-contained as possible.

I think this is a fairly small thing.  The HTML file that people get
will probably be *readable*, and I think that's the important thing.
The formatting is generally a small perk.

Actually, I doubt that anyone would want to download many HTML files
(as is usually the case when one does chunking) for reading offline.
Which is why I attempt to get a PDF if I want to read something
offline, far better, because it also allows me to print it.

> Of course, I suppose another approach would be to put the CSS inside of
> the HTML file...
>
> In any event, that is why I implemented the shading in the stylesheets
> instead of CSS.  There is no dependence on another file (and for that
> matter, there is no dependence on the browser supporting CSS).

I think we ought to encourage use of CSS though.  A lot of Linux
people still use Netscape 4.x which doesn't really support CSS (it
seems to pretend to, though!), and I think that we ought to give them
some form of incentive to shift to more modern browsers that support
these newer web standards, such as Mozilla.

--
Rafael R. Sevilla <sevillar@team.ph.inter.net>   +63(2)   8177746 ext. 8311
Programmer, InterdotNet Philippines              +63(917) 4458925

PGP signature