Re: Including titles with xrefs in XML

> From: Michael Westbay <westbay@users.sourceforge.net>
>
> Stayton-san wrote, among other things:
>
> > The XSL stylesheets use another kind of template system to
> > form xref text and other generated text strings (not to be
> > confused with XSL apply-templates). It uses
> > templates of text strings, sort of like the strings used in
> > printf statements, where some of the text is fixed and
> > some is variable to be substituted at runtime.
> >
> > The string templates are localized, and may be
> > highly customized.  In your 1.41 distribution, you should
> > find common/en.xml.  That contains all the generated text strings
> > for processing with the default lang="en".
>
> Funny you mention this.  I just went through the ja.xml file to make it
> reflect more what the en.xml file does, that is, NOT include the title in
> xref's of table, figure, and example.  And in doing so, I noticed that there
> are a LOT of referenceable objects listed in the en file, but just about half
> of that in the ja file.
>
> Is it necessary to submit a request (on SourceForge) to have the other
> languages updated to reflect what's in en?  Or is this something that is
> updated on a regular basis (just not the last time I checked everthing out of
> CVS about 2 weeks ago)?

I think the situation is better now in CVS, and Norm
expects to make a new release very soon.  But the CVS files
still show different counts for <gentext> and <template>
elements in various languages, which tells me they aren't
all in sync yet.  Of course, keeping 30 language files in
sync is no easy task.  It seems to me that all locales
should all have the same set of elements that the
stylesheets are expecting, even if some elements are not
yet translated in a particular language.

I suggest you file a request on SourceForge that there
be a system to keep them all in sync.

bobs
                                            email: bobs@caldera.com