Re: Bad Continuation of Multi-Byte UTF-8 Sequence

To Walsh's comment:

Pawson-san wrote:

> Surely this is a weakness in the XML spec then? I'm stuffed if I need
> an external parsed entity in a different encoding?

While the encoding is part of the specification, it's optional to support
multiple encodings.  Saxon, for example, only supports UTF-8, USASCII, and
ISO-8859-1 (all of which are exact subsets of UTF-8).

You must not deal with languages that have multiple encodings.  The reason I
prefer to use Xalan/Xerces over Saxon is this every issue, the Apache XML/XSL
tools allow the encoding to be specified on a per document basis.  The loss
is speed is made up for in versitility.

What this function allows me to do is take a document produced by one
engineer on a Windows box in Shift_JIS, then process it with an XSL(T) on my
FreeBSD box that is encoded in EUC-JP.  (For HTML, I often have the output
encoding set in the XSL to be ISO-2022-JP.)

I was recently told (but didn't confirm) that Danish has a number of
different encodings as well depending on platform.

Where i18n and l10n is concerned, this is a strength in the XML spec, not a
weekness.

--
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/