large space between footnotes, footnoteref duplicates

When I process the following document foo.sgml:

  <!DOCTYPE section PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">
  <section>
    <title>Foo</title>
    <para>Blah<footnote id=bar>
        <para>Footnote text.</para>
      </footnote>, blah<footnoteref linkend=bar>.
    </para>
  </section>

with the command

  jade -t tex -V tex-backend -V bop-footnotes -d /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheet/dsssl/docbook/nwalsh/print/docbook.dsl foo.sgml

I receive quite ugly result.  The problems are:

- The <footnoteref> mark causes duplicate insertion of the footnote
  text--there are two footnotes for the document.  Is it possible to
  suppress this and let <footnoteref> to insert the footnote mark only?

- There is a very large vertical space between the two footnotes (at
  least 4 times the font height).  Is there any way to reduce it?

I use jadetex 3.5 and standard DocBook stylesheets 1.64 on Debian.

Thanks for any advice.

Milan Zamazal