Re: Getting started on Linux?

Hi!

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Michael Smith wrote:

> [...]
> As a footnote to this discussion: <spanspec> isn't required, at least
> not for horizontal spans. You can instead specify horizontal spans
> using the nameend="" and namest="" attributes on <entry> elements.

Ok, I was trying that. With respect to the future, it's probably better to
make a habit of using namest= and nameend= instead of <spanspec>s.

> And the OASIS Exchange table model -- which I think will be the
> default in DocBook 5.0 -- doesn't allow <spanspec> at all, but
> requires you to specify horizontal spans on <entry>'s.

Do you have any info whether there will be other changes aside from the
one you mentioned in the OASIS Exchange table model? If so, what will they
be?

> Whether or not existing processing apps deal any better with spans
> specified on <entry>'s instead of <spanspec>'s is another question.

Do you have any info on that?

Thanks for your help!

Greetings,

	Holger