Re:RePost JOB LISTING: DocBook editors/contractors tohelp with conversion

Hi,

Please reply to: aallsman@linuxcare.com or ed@linuxcare.com

Dan York's harddrive died Oct 4th & he can't remember the
names of the people who replied to his original post.

Original Post:
  At Linuxcare we have begun the process of converting our
courseware
  from FrameMaker over into DocBook. Essentially, we have hacked
  Frame's "Export to XML" feature so that it generates a
quasi-DocBook
  flavor of XML. Once this is generated, someone who knows DocBook
  must go in and move around tags, put the correct table tags in,
set
  up sections and do a bunch of other manual tweaks to make the
thing
  be a valid DocBook document.

  We are looking to contract with someone (or multiple people) to
  finish this conversion up quickly. All the exported docs are
stored
  in a CVS server that can be reached externally. We need some folks
  that can massage the files until they can be validated by onsgmls.
  Ideally, the person(s) would be in the San Francisco area so that
  face-to-face meeting could be had to explain the project, but the
  people can actually be located anywhere.

  If you are interested in some contract work like this, please
  contact Ancilla Allsman with your availability and background.

Further information:

We have 8 "books" of courseware each approximately 300-400 pages.
Every book includes:
Table of Contents
Conditional text
Graphics
Tables
Cross-references
etc.

Steps we follow:
1. Import xml.fm into frame files we want to convert to XML
	On reference page we have a table that maps the
	frame tags to Docbook tags
2. "Save As XML" each file
3. Run each "xml" file through a Perl script to get "sgml"
	(We plan on tweaking the Perl script to get XML)
4. Manually clean up "mis-tagged" text, conditional text,
	graphics, cross-references, and tables
5. Run through a parser to validate the code
6. Convert format to rtf

Where we need help:
Stylesheet to get print output that "approximates" the
	appearance of our existing FrameMaker pdfs.
Tweaking the Perl script.
	Show us how to keep our existing Frame index entries.
	Help us automate the graphic & table tagging.
Training approximately 3-5 people how to install/use
the programs.

Cheers,
Ancilla

--