Re: Creating Different Output Formats Using DocBook V4.1 XML

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Sean Donnellan writes:
>  > 2000.1.19	Routers A adapted to prevent exploit described in ISS
>  > 		 Alert X.
>  > 		Changes implemtented by admin A.
>  > 		See Routers A configuration (HSRP and list 102 inbound)
>  >

> I call this a description list, not a table. so its easy, isnt it?
>
> sebastian

Hmmm. :-)

I think that I'll kick myself for even asking when I find out how easy it
is... alas this final stage of enlightenment has failed to set in :-).
Would that be a <segementedlist>? How do I frame a list? How do I fix
column width for empty listitems? If I later wanted to put in a 4th column
for say status (being acknowledged|open|critical|marginal|etc), how would
that work?

Sorry!
I made a mistake in the example in that I placed the dates in front of
all the times. If a time was present the first date would continue and the
time would form sub... (I was going to say tables :-). With a table I'd be
able to span the date rows along the time rows and I might be able to span
a status row parallel to the date row or have two status rows for four
time rows. I have no great problem doing the spanning, it's the rest that
kills me. I've found that <literallayout> goes missing in my printed
entries. I think that I'm just doing it all wrong and I don't know why or
how yet. I got so fed up with the tables that I scraped them and just used
formalpara for the demo.

2000.1.19 03:00	cleared	unremarkable text goes here that is unremarkable
			 in every way.

	  04:00 	More unremarkeable text goes here

2000.2.25	open	text goes here that is remarkeable in every way
			 <link>	</link>
			<literallayoutorsomethinglikethat></>
/.../

This might be a better example of what I had planned. It would be able to
span multiple pages and due to the frame being open to the bottom of the
page the reader could see that the item/entry being read isn't completed
on that page.

	Sean.