Inquiry on inlines vs. sections of similar nature

It might be helpful to have the backend format function and
variable names identically in listings and code snipplets as
well as in the actual text  paragraphs. When I tried to
rework the Linuxdoc DTD for the now abandoned SGMLtools,
I had matching elements that in HTML were mapped to <pre>
plus <tt>. I had similar matched pairs e.g. for block quotes
and quotes merged into the text (which the LaTex ASP then
rendered e.g. in matching italics).

It seems such a matching pair is missing from DocBook?

E.g. there seems no way to mark every occurence of
whateverFunc in a way that would (with proper stylesheet)
render them identically. In other words, there is no
match for e.g. <programlisting> or <funcname> that works
inlined in regular text. You can use EnvVar to acocmplish
matching appearance, but that's exactly the kind of abuse
you want to avoid. In reversal, a matching EnvSynopsis
is absent as well.

It seems natural to me to combine glossar-like definitions
of a function, variable etc. with their repeated occurence
and use in the text in a way that visually underlines the
connection. Am I missing something?

                                             b.