Re: Docbook Structuring Problems

Sorry if I haven't fully understood your question, but I use a main file like this:

---------------------------- Begin -------------------------------------------------
<!DOCTYPE SECT1 PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
	<!ENTITY IF0087 SYSTEM "IF0087.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0087 SYSTEM "IF0087.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0088 SYSTEM "IF0088.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0088 SYSTEM "IF0088.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0100 SYSTEM "IF0100.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0100 SYSTEM "IF0100.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0101 SYSTEM "IF0101.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0101 SYSTEM "IF0101.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0102 SYSTEM "IF0102.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0102 SYSTEM "IF0102.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0104 SYSTEM "IF0104.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0104 SYSTEM "IF0104.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0105 SYSTEM "IF0105.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0105 SYSTEM "IF0105.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0106 SYSTEM "IF0106.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0106 SYSTEM "IF0106.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0107 SYSTEM "IF0107.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0107 SYSTEM "IF0107.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0108 SYSTEM "IF0108.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0211 SYSTEM "IF0211.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0211 SYSTEM "IF0211.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0212 SYSTEM "IF0212.sgm">
	<!ENTITY IF0212 SYSTEM "IF0212.sgm">
]>
<SECT1 lang="es"><TITLE>Funciones</TITLE>
&IF0087
&IF0088
&IF0100
&IF0101
&IF0102
&IF0104
&IF0105
&IF0106
&IF0107
&IF0211
&IF0212
</SECT1>
------------------ End of File ------------------------------

In this case, each sgml file is a REFENTRY. When I add a REFENTRY, I update
this file.

John Storrs wrote:

> I'm experimenting with Docbook, currently using jade and Norm's stylesheets. My
> interest is enterprise documentation systems, with html and print generation
> from sgml/xml sources.
>
> In the sort of application I'm considering source trees may be deep, with
> hundreds or thousands of files. The source subtree for a typical higher level
> component (Book, Article, Chapter etc)  will be some way down the main tree, and
> the right place for a list defining its components will be at the head of this
> subtree. In general there will be multiple uses of some source subtrees in a
> single document, and multiple documents using some subtrees.  Html chunk output
> should be tree structured, with meaningful and stable file names related to
> content.
>
> I can't currently see how to manage this inside the sgml system:
> As I understand it from 'The Definitive Guide', external general entities
> may be defined only in the DTD or in the single document type declaration. How
> can distributed entity definitions be realised? Perhaps only with a script?
> Can html tree output be achieved with the tools I'm using or other open source
> tools? Norm uses the ID attribute to provide a string for a user-defined html
> filename, but as neither '/' nor &sol; are permitted in IDs this only generates
> a flat file space. Also, defining an ID results in an error if source files are
> re-used.  Can anyone advise?
>
> John Storrs

Juan R. Migoya
Ingelectric-Team, S.A.