Re: Octave/HDF5 library/header mismatch

On 21/06/2016 9:03 p.m., Marco Atzeri wrote:
On 21/06/2016 06:20, Gavin King wrote:

Reverting the package libhdf5_10 from the current version 1.8.17-1 to
the previous version 1.8.16-1 means that octave 4.0.1-1 can save the
workspace.

So: workaround: revert libhdf5_10 to 1.8.16-1. Presumably, the current
version of octave was compiled at an inopportune point; I don't think
this is something that I can remedy myself, is it?

the official workaround is mentioned on the warning message

"You can, at your own risk, disable this warning by setting the
environment variable 'HDF5_DISABLE_VERSION_CHECK' to a value of '1'.
Setting it to 2 or higher will suppress the warning messages totally.
Headers are 1.8.16, library is 1.8.17"

so if you use, before running octave

  export HDF5_DISABLE_VERSION_CHECK=1

you will still see the warning but the action will be completed

  export HDF5_DISABLE_VERSION_CHECK=2

will suppress also the warning.

That is slightly scary, since the warning says "Data corruption or segmentation faults may occur if the application continues." Segfaults aside, the prospect of data corruption is unpleasant.

I think this is the correct place to report this to; it isn't a problem
per se with the individual programs, but with the way they're packed
together. I think. Do correct me if I am wrong; I'm a bit new to this
whole business.

It is the right place.
This problem is clearly a hdf5 upstream problem and a questionable
design choice.

I am following with them

https://lists.hdfgroup.org/pipermail/hdf-forum_lists.hdfgroup.org/2016-June/009564.html

Thanks for looking further into it, and for you advice. I'll follow this progress with interest, since I use octave and cygwin rather extensively.

yours

Gavin