Re: /usr/local, /var and */tmp in c:\Users\Public

On Nov 13, 2014, at 2:55 AM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Nov 12 11:00, Warren Young wrote:
>>
>> I propose that this or something like it be added to the default
>> fstab.
>
> No.  This would even break Setup right now.

I’m guessing this is because setup.exe doesn’t know what to do with a redirected /var and /usr/local on the first install, when /etc/fstab doesn’t exist yet?

I assume setup.exe does obey /etc/fstab on subsequent installs.  If not, I can see that this will break the installation of any package that puts files in either location.

I don’t see that the */tmp changes would bother setup.exe.

None of these problems seem difficult.  Doesn’t setup.exe write the initial /etc/fstab, and so is in a position to know what it will contain on first install?