Re: RFC: 1.7.33 problem with user's home directory

On Nov 10 22:18, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > - If your account is an AD account, the home directory is taken from the
> >   RFC 2307 entry unixHomeDirectory.
>
> This isn't set yet in our domain, but there's another AD just for the
> UNIX accounts (I haven't looked at how that one is structured yet).
> There's talk about maybe unifying these two AD in the future, but I have
> no idea how that would work.

If you're doing that at one point...

> > - Otherwise, if these values are empty or don't exist, your fallback
> >   home directory is /home/$USER (without domain prefix).
> >
> > As you may have noticed, there's nothing in there taking the Windows
> > home directory into account.  It's indeed not used at all by the new
> > code.
>
> I think that is generally the right idea, since mixing all the .-files
> into the normal Windows home directory results in a mess, especially
> when there are Windows programs ported from Unix that use the same
> scheme for themselves.  What I'm doing right now is to create an
> /etc/fstab.d/$USER that mounts a subdirectory of the Windows $HOME
> (always a network drive for normal domain users) when I set up a new
> users' machine or login on a server.  I also mount the actual Windows
> home back under ~/winhome.
>
> > Shall the "db" entries utilize the Windows home folder if it exits(*)
> > and drop using the unixHomeDirectory?  It seems inevitable...
>
> That would cause serious problems for me I think.  Keeping the home
> directory pinned to /home/$USER and automounting this based on some rule
> involving either or both of those entries seems a better idea in the
> long run.

...it might give you similar trouble as you outline above.  As soon as
the RFC 2307 posixAccount/posixGroup scheme is utilized for Unix
machines, Cygwin's usage of unixHomeDirectory would potentially break
your modus operandi...

Corinna

Red Hat