Re: Simplify AD integration?

Eric Blake wrote:

> On 07/31/2014 07:26 AM, D. Boland wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >> So I'd like to ask a few questions to which I'd like to have some brief
> >> answers, kind of like a poll, to get a better idea how we should
> >> proceed:
> >>
> >> 1. Shall we remove the leading '+' from the builtin account names
> >>    or shall we keep it?
> >>
> >> 2. Shall we stick to '+' as the separator char or choose another one?
> >>    If so, which one?
> >>
> >> 3. Shall we keep the `db_prefix' variability or choose one of
> >>    the prefixing methods and stick to it?  If so, which one, auto,
> >>    primary, or always?
> >
> > I'm a legacy man. So I would say keep the MS symbol and use it like this \daniel,
> > \SYSTEM, etc.
>
> But you'd have to write that as '\daniel' or \\daniel in the shell, and
> you also cripple tilde expansion.  That's why we already ruled out :, \,
> and / as non-starters, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

I am not only a man of legacy, but also a very opinionated one. So give me some
slack when I say: the whole thing is insane. This would mean that from now on, I
have to use constructs like ~+daniel ~+SYSTEM in a Linux shell?? Bizarre.

On the other hand, for the sake of progress, but keeping legacy there would be only
one acceptable solution: use the tilde symbol. A user could then be referred to as:
~daniel.

This already works in the shell and it is also done by the Apache webserver. If I
want to go my personal web space I can type:

http://localhost/~daniel/

Come to think of it: IMAP does this too! I have been coding for an IMAP project, and
if you want to fetch somebody's mail, you'd have to use ~corinna to display the
contents of her INBOX.

Cheers,
Daniel