Re: setting character set in mintty

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Greetings, Pawel Jasinski!

>>>mintty does not use the console at all.  A chcp call doesn't make
>>>any sense.
>
>> Sorry for asking stupid question. My knowledge of cygwin internals lacks.
>> However, I can see that for every mintty window (and bash) I get a
>> conhost process running. I assume that it is where the character
>> setting is stored for non-cygwin processes started from bash.
>> Again, it is my naive believe, that somewhere there maybe a convenient
>> place to call SetConsoleOutputCP with argument matching content of the
>> LANG environment variable.
>
> Even if you do that, it won't help anything at all.

At the moment I am using ugly 'cmd /c chcp 65001' and it does help.
BTW. this is a solution recommended by cygwin FAQ. I guess I am not
the first one who encounter this inconvenience.

> Typical windows program
> does not expect a change in console code page at all.
> If it was designed to use OEM CP, it will output in it regardless of actual
> CP.

To be specific, IronPython and cpython interpreters are program which
respect CP settings.
Any .net based console application is by default respecting CP settings.
The minimalistic example of such a program:

using System;
namespace encoding_console {
    class Program {
        static void Main(string[] args) {
            Console.WriteLine("\u2192");
        }
    }
}

> P.S.
> Please teach your mail agent to insert proper threading headers. A thread
> scattered across multiple pieces is very hard to follow.
> If you're subscribed in digest mode, reply to your own messages sent to the
> list.

This is the case. I didn't realized I was messing something up by
editing things by hand. Sorry.