Re: cygwin-bash compat/regression bug... startup line prob

Eric Blake wrote:
On 05/01/2014 04:11 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:

The reason the above fails... (I got it to work).. is that if there is a
space
on the line after the "-u", that also fails.

I didn't deliberately put one there, but that it no longer handles
separate options is an evolution of software devolution.

It NEVER worked to put more than one option.  I don't know why you are
arguing "software devolution" when there has been no regression in
behavior, rather you are just experiencing something that has always
been this way.  And I already explained in the other message that yes
indeed cygwin is different than Linux in that trailing whitespace is
passed through on cygwin but stripped in Linux.

But NOTE -- the above error claims it is coming from /usr/bin/bash.
That's not my login shell nor on the shebang line.

That's cygwin-black-magic... converting all /bin paths to /usr/bin...even
shells?...

I already explained in the other mail that this is a side-effect of
cygwin converting to windows paths and then back during execve shebang
computation, rather than preserving the argv[0] of the user.
---
	Like I said -- cygwin-black-magic.  Converting paths to windows
and back again... only innermost practitioner's of windows-magic would
create such spells! ;-)

 You are welcome to provide a patch.
----
	Aw, shucks, that's awfully nice of you, and if my understanding
of cygwin was such that contributing such a patch wouldn't take more time
learning how to make cygwin than designing and implementing the patch,
I might do such, but it wouldn't be the most efficient use of my time.

   As it stands I need to work around cygwin ignoring Windows
mount-points and turning them into symlinks too often and would likely
consider fixing that a higher priority task, though since it's a
reverting an "extra hack" put in to treat windows mount-points
(Junctions) as symlinks, I wouldn't think fixing that would be that
difficult,

    Personally, I'd like to see linux running as a subsystem on windows
like the old POSIX sybsystem.  That would solve all sorts of compat
problems.  ;-)    (ya, I know, when pigs fly)...