Re: g77 on cygwin64

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014, David Conrad wrote:

Since the problem occurs going from 32-bit to 64-bit Cygwin, it sounds
to me like all-the-world's-a-VAX syndrome. I bet there are places
where it reads from files and assumes that if it reads N words into
integers, that is N 32-bit quantities, or something like that. I
haven't written any Fortran since the 1980s, but I bet there are types
that have changed size due to the switch to 64-bit and that results in
reading incorrect values from files, including reading some of them
from the wrong file offsets, and hitting end-of-file at a different
point.

It's called, "inadvertent varriable sharing."

Yeah, I was there, fought those battles. The proof of what was going on was found in crash dumps. ...This was from the era when "RISC architecture" meant "Relegate all the Important Sh_t to the Compiler."

Richard