Is There A Way to Update ADB?

Hi there,

I am trying to use Cygwin in a particular method to recover data on my phone.

My phone is on Android 4.4.2, and I can't seem to get adb (Cygwin) to connect properly, it lists my phone but it says device offline.

The Android SDK's adb version is 1.0.31 and it connects to my phone fine.

Cygwin's adb is 1.0.26.

I think I read on stack overflow or xda (forgot which one) that says since Android 4.2, certain security changes were made, and older adb versions of Android sdk do not work with later Android versions.

Could this be the reason why I can't connect my phone with Cygwin's adb?

As I am not a programmer, I don't know how to update the adb for Cygwin. If someone can write a detailed step-by-step guide for me, I think I can follow through.

Or could someone help me update it and send me a patch?

Thanks,
Cilix