Re: using spawn functions to avoid fork() errors

On 2/6/2014 8:50 AM, Steven Bardwell wrote:

On 2/5/2014 7:07 AM, Steven Bardwell wrote:
I have no problem doing some recoding of my application to reliably
solve
my
issues with fork() -- can you all
point me in the direction of the 'spawn family of calls'?

See spawn.cc ->
<http://cygwin.com/cgi-
bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/cygwin/spawn.cc?rev=1.353&content-
type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=src>

--
Larry

Larry - thanks for the link to the source for the spawn() APIs.  It works
perfectly on my 32-bit install (where, as it happens, the fork() issue
never shows up either).

However, on my 64-bit install, the spawnv() call is returning with an
error -- 'No such file or  directory' -- when I try to spawn /bin/sh.
I have attached the output from 'strace' on this process. If you look at
line 602, I think you can see where the exception gets generated. Can
you see what is going on? I tried to create a simple test program that
shows the problem, but (so far) they all work. Thanks.

Interesting.  No, off hand, the strace output doesn't shed any light on
the situation for me either.  Clearly an access violation occurs when
/bin/sh is spawned but if it only happens in your specific code and not
in a simple invocation of spawn(), that suggests a possible usage problem.
I know, that's not much help. ;-)

--
Larry