Re: git clone fails on large repos when using cygcrypto-1.0.0.dll, works with 0.9.8

On Jan 10 11:27, Chris O'Bryan wrote:
> I've been having issues cloning large repos with git under Cygwin, but
> only when I compiled git myself. The version of Git that Cygwin's
> setup.exe downloads works fine, while mine would intermittently fail
> with messages like this:
>
> Cloning into 'testrepo'...
> remote: Counting objects: 41107, done
> remote: Finding sources: 100% (15143/15143)
> remote: Total 149668 (delta 9296), reused 148822 (delta 9296)
> Receiving objects: 100% (149668/149668), 613.20 MiB | 6.64 MiB/s, done.
> fatal: pack is corrupted (SHA1 mismatch)
> fatal: index-pack failed
>
> Sometimes the clone would work, but not very often. Sometimes the
> error wouldn't be SHA1 mismatch, but the result would still be cloning
> failed. I found it odd that the binary from setup.exe worked, but my
> compile of the same version would fail. I did a diff of the 'objdump
> -x' from my compile and the binary from setup.exe, and the only
> significant difference was my compile used cygcrypto-1.0.0.dll, and
> the working version used cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll .
>
> I tried simply replacing cygcrypto-1.0.0.dll with a copy of
> cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll and my problems went away. It seems like there may
> be some regression from 0.9.8 to 1.0.0 that is causing git to
> intermittently fail.
>
> Here is a link to someone else running into what appears to be the
> same issue using the FFmpeg repo:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17764079/clone-failing-at-large-depths/21049635
>
> If anyone else is running into issues cloning with git on Cygwin (even
> if the error is not the exact same message), could you try temporarily
> replacing your cygcrypto-1.0.0.dll and check if this fixes your
> issues?

I can't reproduce this.  I tried this on 64 bit Cygwin which has git
1.7.9 linked against libcrypto-1.0.0.  Then I tried 32 bit 1.7.9 with
libcrypto-0.9.8 as well as with libcrypto-1.0.0.  Then I tried the 32
bit cygwinports version git-1.8.3.4, built against libcrypto-1.0.0.

I can clone the ffmpeg repo as in the aforementioned example as often
as I like, but I never get a problem.  This is with Cygwin 1.7.27
and OpenSSL 1.0.1f.

Corinna

Red Hat