Re: emacs-24.3.1 crashes on talking to Google

On 8/28/2013 9:50 AM, Zdzislaw Meglicki wrote:
Ken Brown wrote:

    > What's the exact error message?
    > And can you reproduce this starting with 'emacs -Q'?

Yes, the error shows when emacs is started with -Q. Here it is:

$ emacs-x11 -Q
** (emacs-x11:32728): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply.
Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply,
the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired,
or the network connection was broken.

This is a harmless warning, which sometimes occurs. (I don't know when or why. It comes from atk. You can apparently suppress it with "export NO_AT_BRIDGE=1". See

  http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15154#11

Then Ken wrote:

    > It looks like you're using at least one obsolete variable.
    > I suggest you start by reading the emacs documentation
    > on smtpmail, especially the section on authentication.

Indeed. I see many changes compared to emacs-21. Not only is
smtpmail-auth-credentials obsolete. smtpmail-starttls-credentials
is obsolete too. Yes, this part of my .emacs code will have to be
rewritten.

A suggestion to Emacs/Cygwin maintainers/developers: please, give
us an example of a working up-to-date .emacs code for making emacs
send e-mail through Google. It's a popular way of doing it nowadays.

This is not specific to Cygwin. If it belongs anywhere, it should be in the emacs manual. I just looked at the section "Emacs speaks SMTP" in the smtpmail documentation, and the instructions look pretty clear to me. What happens if you follow those instructions, replacing "mail.example.org" with "smtp.gmail.com"? If there's anything Cygwin-specific that goes wrong, then I'll try to fix it or add something to /usr/share/doc/emacs/README.Cygwin, whatever is appropriate.

Ken