Re: .tar.xz for snapshots?

Perhaps we should test to see whether we want to trade compression for time.

Unscientific benchmark:

I compressed a 7.6mb tar file with bzip2, lzip, and xz.  xz had the
best compression but the slowest time, lzip was in the middle in both
speed and size categories, and bzip2 was fastest but less compression.
 gzip was slower than bzip2 and the resulting compressed file was
larger.

Size ratios (xz=1, best compression.)
1.0000 xz   ( 2242856 bytes )
1.0050 lzip
1.1304 bzip2
1.2282 gzip

Time ratios (bzip2=1, fastest compression.)
1.0000 bzip2   ( 0m0.880s )
1.4397 gzip
2.8511 lzip
3.5352 xz