Re: .tar.xz for snapshots?

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:29:03AM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>Corinna, would you please consider moving to .tar.xz for snapshots?

I'm actually the person responsible for the snapshot mechanism.

The intent of the raw dlls was to make it relatively easy to download
and uncompress a dll without using cygwin tools.

If you want a a tarball you can always just download cygwin-inst and
install just the DLL from there.

I'm willing to investigate using better compression but that would
mean changes both to the snapshot generation and to the script which
creates the snapshot web page so it isn't a trivial "just use a
different program to compress" type of change.

Poll: Does anyone care if we move from bz2 to xz for snapshots?

cgf