Re: Failure with fork()

On 2013-06-27 15:33, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
I think you keep assuming I have some version of Cygwin already
installed when that is not the case.  It is the last stage of the
initial attempt at installation using setup.exe that fails on Wine due
to the fork bug. Furthermore, when I download setup.exe from
http://cygwin.com/setup.exe it contains the fork bug. That version is
self-contained, i.e., only setup.exe needs to be downloaded, not
cygwin1.dll in addition.  I presume that is because setup.exe uses a
static version of the cygwin library as a matter of convenience rather
than depending on an external cygwin1.dll that could be separately
downloaded.

There is no such thing as static linkage of Cygwin. setup.exe is in fact a native Windows (MinGW) executable, due to the fact that it needs to be able to run before Cygwin is installed, or while upgrading cygwin1.dll.

Therefore, if you are seeing fork() errors when running setup, they are actually coming from the postinstall scripts which are run after installing files. In that case, the best solution may be something along the lines of (untested):

1) Open the Wine equivalent of taskmgr.exe.
2) Run setup.exe again and install just the Base packages.
3) During postinstall, kill any bash.exe processes ASAP.
4) setup.exe should list some postinstall errors before completion, which can be ignored for now. 5) After setup.exe is finished, replace C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll with the latest snapshot DLL. 6) Run setup.exe again with the same options; the postinstall scripts should (in theory) run properly this time.
7) Launch Cygwin Terminal once to set up your environment.
8) Run setup.exe one more time to install additional packages.

HTH,

Yaakov