Re: Attn: Yaakov [Was: Re: cygutils Postinstall Script Errors With Exit Code 128]

Sorry for missing this before.

On 2013-05-29 17:43, Charles Wilson wrote:
Known issue, waiting for cygport fix.  cygutils relies on cygport
auto-generating the postinstall scripts which invoke those tools.
Cygport does this because the install package contains the following two
files:

/usr/share/applications/cygstart.desktop
/usr/share/mime/packages/cygutils.xml

...and it generates the postinstall script unconditionally (e.g. I can't
turn it off) and the generated postinstall scripts themselves call the
tools unconditionally.  Cygport also automatically adds the packages
which contain those tools to the requires: field of the setup.hint,
so...under normal circumstances, everything should be fine.

Right, because packages providing those kind of files usually need those commands to be run in order for them to take effect; see below.

However, at user request I've manually removed the requires: line,
because the addition of these two files to the cygutils package
shouldn't have the effect of pulling *PERL* into the Base category. I
assumed we'd live with the semi-brokenness for a few days, until...

Perl? I thought it was Python, due to a false positive in the dependency detection with glib2.0, which I fixed on sourceware.

But now that you mention it, is cygutils *supposed* to be in Base? It is marked category: Utils, but seems to be pulled into Base only because of cygwin-doc (which *is* in Base, oddly enough; shouldn't it just be Doc?) listing it as a dependency.

...I'm waiting for Yaakov to say whether this should be "fixed" in
cygport [1], or if I should override all the auto-generation stuff by
manually creating an explicit postinstall script (with suitable tool
existence checks) and setup.hint.

The "problem" here is that cygutils is not primarily a desktop-oriented package. Most packages providing XDG menu and mime entries *are*, so these dependencies not only mandatory, but quite modest by those standards. I added these files because it allows better integration between desktop file managers (Nautilus/Caja/Thunar/PCManFM/Dolphin/etc.) and Windows, e.g. making it easy to launch an EXE/MSI installer from one's Downloads folder. However, most people use cygutils outside of the desktop, so particularly if its pulled into Base, these deps would be more than the bare-minimal system.

If cygutils should be in Base, the "solution" is probably one of the following:

* provide these files (and postinstall scripts) in a 'cygutils-x11' subpackage;

* OR move them to another package (not sure which yet) which will already be installed in desktop scenarios, and adding cygutils as a dependency thereto.

For now, should we go with the first option?

Yaakov