Re: Creating CD of installation packages: Download incomplete. Try again?

Robert Pendell <shinji+cygwin <at> elite-systems.org> writes:
>On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Paul wrote:
>> I managed to kluge a method to compare my installed packages with those
>> downloaded and recorded in setup.log, thus identifying potentially missing
>> packages and confirming that they will probably not be a problem.  The
>> listing of installed packages was gotten using cygcheck while the setup.log
>> contained all the packages that successfully downloaded.  I removed all the
>> extraneous information in the 2 files that did not relate to packages, used
>> vim...to make the formatting [the same] between the 2 files, then sorted the
>> packages by name...

and used vim's diff function to see what files were in the cygcheck info but not
in the setup.log info (forgot to mention this).

>> Here are the...packages [not downloaded]:
>>
>>    Obsolete
>>    --------
>>    _autorebase 000164-1
>>    _update-info-dir 01088-1
>>    libpng12 1.2.50-2
>>    libpng14 1.4.12-3
>>    libpng14-devel 1.4.12-3
>>    vala-libcanberra-gtk 0.29-1
>>    w32api 9999-1
>>
>>    Not obsolete
>>    ------------
>>    libpoppler19 0.18.4-2
>>
>> I determined whether a package was obsolete by using the cygwin's setup.exe,
>> putting the versionless package name into the Search field, and toggling the
>> switch for hiding obsolete packages.  I'm not too worried about the 1 missing
>> non-obsolete package, since setup.exe will prompt you to include packages
>> that are needed to fulfill dependencies.

Actually, since I'll be installing from CD, I better fetch the 1 missing
non-obsolete file as well.  Setup won't be able to fulfill dependencies for
which the file is not on CD.

>> ...I was surprised to see the obsolescence of autorebase.  It was just
>> recently made fully functional.  Perhaps it has been folded into another
>> package.  I browsed the cygwin website & documentation to find release notes
>> that might explain this, but no luck.  I also tried googling for release
>> notes, in vain.
>
> It isn't obsolete.  All obsolete packages get assigned to _obsolete group.
> _autorebase is assigned to _PostInstallLast and is still an active group.  It
> is likely hidden by default to minimize confusion.

I searched http://cygwin.com/setup.html and http://cygwin.com/packages for
mention of package "groups", _obsolete, and _PostInstallLast.  Couldn't
anything.  Are such details available to noncontributors?  Can I also assume
that "_update-info-dir 01088-1" is not obsolete?

Also, I was wondering if cygwin comes with release notes.  I wasn't able to find
any in the search described in my last post.